Dad should be a part of the solution



In my previous blog Missing Fathers, I broached a subject that I believe needs more attention on a deeper scale.  The topic of Missing Fathers is poignant with a myriad of angles, that I’m revisiting the discussion in an attempt to do it more justice.  I’d also like to note that my intent is to always approach such subject matter from a solution-oriented mindset.

As I watch the news, research related statistics and observe Jacksonville’s culture, I realize missing fathers is a huge problem, and the effects of their absence manifests in the children and communities  I have noticed many community-based initiatives now exist  with one goal: to “save” the children. One glaring flaw, in my opinion, is the fact that most of the efforts fail to appropriately re-insert the father into the family or the life of his children.  Leading me to question whether that these efforts seek to replace fathers or capitalize off of their absences rather than create bridges to re-establish the role as father?  

The main argument of a previous blog I wrote, “Save the Father, Save the Son”, simply surmised that no one can love a child more than his/her parent.  Also, given the proper tools and resources, apparent will seek to ensure their child has the opportunity to have a great future.  You see, the Father has a vested interest in the future success of his/her child as the child is the future of his bloodline.

Looking at statistics from various sources, a few of the long-standing problems that we seek to overcome as a society in part has root in the absence of fathers.  For example, according to the National Center for Fathering, the absence of the father affects the income of the family as well as the future development of the child socially.

As we seek to ensure healthy development of our children and their successful matriculation from childhood to adulthood, it is imperative that we all (mother, father, community, organizations, and policy) work together to create solutions that stand the test of time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandfather's Legacy

New Year, New Direction 2017

Happy Father's Day 2018